Barrington RI Police Department
Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret)
L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement
Active Diffusion Strategies Plus Tactical Options
Friday, February 3, 2017 – 0830 to 1630
It was a pleasure and honor to present our training program – L.E.A.D.S. Law Enforcement Active Diffusion Strategies course on February 3, 2017 to approximately 50 officers hosted by the Barrington RI PD. The training was very well received and all the officers participated actively during the entire presentation. They displayed high levels of enthusiasm, dedication and professionalism throughout the entire training session. A review of the course evaluations revealed an overwhelming high satisfaction rating from the attending students of the course.
This is what the students had to say:
Please assess how this court met your overall expectations?
- I was impressed with the amount of information provided in an 8 hour course.
- Thoroughly summarized a variety of real life situations.
- Informative in organized.
- Well presented, many good ideas would definitely attend more training is available.
- Above expectations.
- Great information very informative.
- Gave me new ideas, strategies for communications with suspects and my officers to make a stronger connection.
- Put together well, kept me interested, material presented well.
- Better than I expected.
- This exceeded my expectations.
- Realistic strategies taught.
- Significant skills and knowledge valuable to all aspects of the job.
Please assess the quality of this presentation.
- Presentation was good, instructor was enthusiast, focused on areas of greatest importance and avoided “fluff” in unnecessary topics.
- Engaging and energetic presentation.
- Articulate and informative.
- Quality of this presentation was excellent.
- Absolutely fantastic, very informative fact based and proven.
- Will apply all information provided.
- Well prepared.
- Well laid out with sufficient brief periods.
- Lots of war stories, lots of info stuffed into one day. Great enthusiasm.
- Made use of the entire room and media.
- Professional, well prepared, real world experience.
- Well-spoken and grounded.
Please assess the instructor in this program. Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret)
- Very knowledgeable, excellent speaker.
- I like the explanation of the science behind emotions and how the brain worked. It wasn’t too complicated that the average person could not understand it. At times it felt a little soft towards combative subjects. Overall good education and techniques. Good information on rushing and when dealing with EDP and liability.
- He has done it all and seen it all. Very fortunate to have the opportunity to attend this training. Haven’t had any instructors who had been asked to speak on CNN.
- Professional and informative presentation. Effective pacing and delivery of information with real world scenarios.
- Very well done.
- Dillon (K.D. )is awesome. Presents material that keeps people interested and involved.
- Excellent job, what a fantastic class. Lieutenant Dillon is unbelievable instructor I look for to take in another class or seminar where he is instructed.
- Very knowledgeable, great information, class flowed very well.
- Excellent presentation with the application tools and methods learn from a very long career. The delivery of the information was excellent between verbal visual aids and class participation.
- Lieutenant Kevin Dillon knows his stuff. You can tell he loves what he does. Puts the time and effort into fine tuning his craft.
- Years of on the job experience and training are evident at every level of the presentation. His effort and enthusiasm are contagious.
- Instructor was well prepared and professional he’s done the job himself which makes it easier to accept.
- Lieutenant was great engaging and relevant content was relevant and informative.
- Dynamic, engaging wealth of knowledge in support of the material.
- But Lieutenant Dillon excellent instructor, implements scientific research with police practical application
Please explain how this training will enable you to change or improve your present assignment.
- Useful phrases. Good statistical data to support decisions and action taken.
- Learn some new techniques to improve communications and tense situations.
- A lot of information to use with both suspects and victims to determine what happened and also gather information.
- As a sergeant I see ways I can be more motivating and have better relationships with my officers.
- Communication is key to all life situations. This training will help me in both my personal and professional life.
- Better communication with aggressive or emotional individuals.
- Communication with public and fellow officers.
- Very useful in practical tactics that can be used in nearly all encounters.
- It will help me bridge the gap between our PD in our community.
- Dealing with people in different ways makes jobs easier.
- This class, anyone who deals with public should take. This class is for everyday life.
- I will try to implement more diffusion techniques with the growing anti-police calls for service, groups.
- Communication and reminder to give community member’s full attention they deserve.
- Multiple interactions with the public from all walks of life on a daily basis. I will certainly use some of the methods I’ve used when communicating with different people.
- Will remind me to think before I escalate the situation unnecessarily.
- Both on the street and in roll call, the techniques discussed can be utilized.
- From a management position it provides me better people skills to work with different levels of the organization.
- Be able to communicate better with the citizens, minimize conflicts.
- Providing a variety of De-escalation techniques, how to use force and communication in today’s climate.
This course is an easy to use communications class for street confrontations that will assist to de-escalate engagements, reduce complaints, and liability, as well enhance officer survival!
This is a classroom based combat confrontation avoidance course. Based upon the L.O.C.K.U.P.® Police Combat System, it teaches, in a classroom setting, how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active Diffusion Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. We utilize lectures and demonstrations; no special equipment is necessary. There is no maximum limit to enrollment.
- understand the principles of risk management for conflict resolutions
- identify indicators of hostility through body language,
- learn and understand the value of customer service in law enforcement,
- learn how to turn negative communication into positive,
- identify professional benefits of respect,
- learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies,
- understand physiological changes during aggression,
- learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion,
- learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction,
- learn the importance of professional posturing
- communicate and respond to special populations
(ex.-mental illness, autism, disabilities)
- identity different communication styles and appropriate response tactics,
- learn methods of motivational interviewing skills,
- learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages,
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations
- identify and discuss the 3o Guiding Principles
- Learn contact – cover principals and concepts in conflict resolutions
Presently instructed in the states of MN, MI, FL,CT, RI, AZ, MA, CO, MO, AK, CA, MO
Course Reviewed and Approved by the United States Department of Justice!
“I personally benefited from this training and I would highly recommend it for officers, police managers and attorneys who defend officers. Thank you for including me and my fellow litigators in this valuable training.”
Judith A. Hanson Assistant City Attorney – City of Saint Paul
Register Through Host Contact – Sgt. Josh Birrell
firstname.lastname@example.org – 401.289.2000
Location of Training:
Barrington Town Hall, 2nd Floor
283 County Road, Barrington, Rhode Island
Sponsored by Barrington RI PD. Outside agencies may attend for ONLY $25.00 FEE. Registration information is located on the course flier.