Larimer County Sheriff’s Office
L.E.A.D.S. Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Instructor Certification
March 2 – 4, 2020 0830-1630
Congratulations to the officers of Colorado, Kentucky and Ohio who attended and successfully completed the L.E.A.D.S. Three Day Instructor Course hosted by the Larimer County Sheriff’s Office. The course consisted of lectures, scenario development and role playing exercises to maximize the transfer of in formation.
What the students had to say;
I liked the combination of tactics with verbal d-escalation.
Very, very good training that encompasses a wide spectrum of scenarios.
Excellent presentation, good material.
One of the best in all training experiences.
Lt. Dillon was great at presenting the material.
This training is not only helpful for the work environment but also for everyday life.
The instruction of this program could benefit a wide variety of experienced officers.
I really enjoyed and see the benefit for having PowerPoint along with flip charts and demonstration.
Better understanding of the brain and how things work.
This course covers things in depth that they should know.
This is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and has been receiving national recognition.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications.
- Identify professional benefits of active diffusion strategies
- Risk management for officer safety
- Anger management and control
- How complaints are use in litigation
- Learn principles of social / emotion intelligence
- Learn methods of effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- Understanding physiological changes during aggression
- Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- Learn anger management skills and techniques
- Learn methods to re-direct the thought process
- Identity different communications styles with appropriate response tactics
- Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- Fair and impartial policing
- Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages
Contact – Mallory Rutherford—Training Coordinator
Email firstname.lastname@example.org / desk: 970-498-5186
Larimer County Sheriff’s Office
2501 Midpoint Dr. Fort Collins CO 80525