L.E.A.D.S.TM NEW COURSE!
Law Enforcement Active Diffusion Strategies Plus Tactical Options
(3) DAY INSTRUCTOR COURSE
CONGRATULATIONS to the new L.E.A.D.S. Instructors of Connecticut. 22 officers represented from the CT State Police, CT Police Officers Standard and Training Municipal Academy, Bridgeport, New Haven, Milford, Hartford and Waterbury Police Departments. The officers successfully completed the 3 day Instructor course and will be implementing the training both to in-service personnel as well as recruits in their academies.
This is what the students had to say:
Please assess how this course met your overall expectations?
18 out 21 Students rated this category at the highest level of 5 (Excellent) 3 rated it as 4 (Very Good).
- Wanted to be able to leave class being able to teach the material. This class will allow it.
- Course is by far the best and most relevant de-escalation course currently out there that cops can relate to.
- The course exceeded my expectations.
- Obtain new skills and terminology for de-escalating and documenting.
- Wasn’t sure what to expect and now very glad I attended.
- Great info, fairly simple an extremely relevant.
- Exceeded expectations. Haven’t been taught diffusion techniques before. Was excited about the concept of understanding the brain and how to redirect the thought and behavior.
- This class was exactly what I was looking for: de-escalation with all other use of force tactics, etc. as an organic whole.
- Really solidified techniques in my mind.
- Class was excellent integration of tactics and de-escalation.
- Info was presented in a great way, science of it all, explanation of techniques and good demonstration.
- This course provided me with additional knowledge and skills pertinent to my current assignment.
- High quality presentation, all presenters were clear, organized and helpful. Good team teaching.
- A lot of information for someone who had been through the initial class, even with info from first day.
- KD (Lt. Dillon) does an excellent job at presenting info keeps you engaged.
- Well designed for LEOs. Designed to stimulate interest and overcome resistance to, “just another training” attitude.
- Very thorough and comprehensive.
- Very concise and in-depth in presentation, as in other LOCKUP classes I have attended.
- Excellent presentation.
- First day teach just how to present it, 2 and 3 teach how to teach it.
- KD (Lt. Dillon) is dynamic and knowledgeable; instructor book is a great idea to interject our own experiences.
The L.E.A.D.S. ™ training program is an easy to use communication program that addresses street confrontations. It will enhance communications skills, help de-escalate engagements, reduce complaints and liability, and enhance officer survival. In this 3 Day Instructor Course, participants will develop the knowledge and skills they need to train officers working in police departments and security services, as they will learn how to run training sessions for the 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours L.E.A.D.S.™ programs. Participants who successfully complete this “Train the Trainer” course are qualified to train officers in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ curriculum.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course will instruct students and develop instructors in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active Diffusion Strategies and Tactical Options One-Day Program. The course is classroom based to educate instructors in effective communications skills, de-escalation techniques as well as combat confrontation avoidance training. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active Diffusion Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. We utilize lectures and demonstrations.
- Understand the principles of risk management for officer safety;
- identify indicators of hostility through body language;
- learn and understand the value of customer service in law enforcement;
- learn how to turn negative communication into positive;
- identify professional benefits of respect;
- learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies;
- understand physiological changes during aggression;
- learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion;
- learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction;
- learn the importance of professional posturing;
- communicate and respond to special populations; (ex.-mental illness, autism, disabilities);
- identity different communication styles and appropriate response tactics;
- learn methods of motivational interviewing skills;
- learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages;
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations;
- discuss application of the 30 Guiding principles PERF Recommendations;
- learn contact – cover principals and concepts;
- learn tactically relocation strategies to delay confrontations;
- learn to build community partnerships through daily interactions;
- learn to conduct breakout sessions for roll playing exercises;
- teaching methodologies and adult learning principles; and
- classroom and scenario facilitation.
“There are many training courses that tell officers what to do in certain situations; too few of them show the officers how to do it. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ course fills this void. Through L.E.A.D.S.™ training Hartford Police Officers learned how to communicate more effectively; to identify physiological changes that occur when people get angry or hostile; to re-direct thought processes in order to de-escalate hostile situations and to respond tactically when verbal diffusion fails. These skills are put to use daily by the men and women of the Hartford Police Department.”
James C. Rovella – Chief of Police – Hartford CT
The L.E.A.D.S.™ Curriculum has been reviewed and approved by the United States Department of Justice.
CLOSED ENROLLMENT – CSP Staff Professional Development