Become a Qualified CT Arrest and Control L.O.C.K.U.P.® Instructor!!! CT Department of Corrections Hosting CT Arrest…
Eastern Florida State College
Public Safety Institute
3865 North Wickham Road – Melbourne, FL 32935
December 7-9, 2021
Congratulations to the graduates of the L.E.A.D.S. Instructor class hosted by the Eastern Florida State College. Officers from throughout FL attended the three-day professional development program. The officers attended and successfully completed the mentally challenging three days and are now qualified L.E.A.D.S. Instructors.
Positive Course Attributes of the class?
- Learning more about how the human brain operates.
- Great course. Learned a lot from the instructors. Have knowledge and the abilities to teach the course for my agency.
- Course was full of anecdotal evidence which helped solidify the materials through his ability to relate the concept to a real-life scenario.
- I would recommend his future classes to all my colleagues if Lt. Kevin Dillon would return to instruct.
- Everything, but especially being able to know the tactics I am already using without knowing it.
- Absolutely a great course.
- Great communication and engagement!
- Great class, very professional.
- Excellent course. The course exceeded my expectations and will be applying the instructed techniques in my daily activities.
- The instructor (Lt. Dillon) is very knowledgeable and was able to retain the class attention and participation. Highly recommend this course to others.
- Great course, this is something that should be introduced in academy training.
- Lt. Dillon was highly energetic. Very informative and approachable. The subject matter about the limbic brain and how it keeps ourselves into rational thought and help others switch back to logical brain was great material.
- The time invested in attending this L.E.A.D.S. instructor course was well worth it.
- Instructors are very knowledgeable and were able to conduct these learning and teaching aspects very confidently and kept our attention.
- A lot of great material to incorporate and roll call over several sessions.
- The life stories provided by the instructors were great. Great learning environment.
- Great class, I feel like I have gained another tool in my toolbox for on the job experience. Lt. Dillon was great at getting the attention and feedback from the class.
- The course was very well put together and engaging. Content was appropriate. Scenarios already developed for training. What hit home was the fact that we don’t train for failure.
- Every state as there are different DT criteria having someone with knowledge of the curriculum which has been updated greatly since dinosaur times is helpful to emphasize we are moving in the right direction.
This is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and has been taught throughout the United States.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor-level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom-based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management, and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications.
- learn how to turn negative communication into positive
- identify professional benefits of respect
- learn anger management techniques
- learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- community empowerment and partnership strategies
- understand physiological changes during aggression
- learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction
- communicate and respond to special populations ; (ex.-mental illness, autism, disabilities)
- learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- learn tactically relocation strategies to delay confrontations
- concepts of fair and impartial policing
- learn to build community partnerships through daily interactions
- learn to conduct breakout sessions for role-playing exercises
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations
- learn how de-escalation and or the lack of is used in litigation
- teaching methodologies and adult learning principles
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations…plus more!
- 3 Year Certification!
REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE Presently Instructed in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, NH, PA, MO, MI, TX, SD, CO, AK, NE, CA, AZ, NM, UT and VT
Cost: REGISTER HERE
Limited Access-Class is open to Florida Sworn officers
only. No Charge to Region VII officers
To reserve a seat:
Please send Training Authorization to:
An agency completed 15A Registration Form is required
to attend this class and can be obtained from our
(Click on Academics/Public Safety Institute/
SEATS AVAILABLE: 26
This class may be used for Mandatory Retraining Credit
Contact the Advanced & Specialized Training Coordinator
(321) 433-5623 or