Leesburg Police Department – Florida SOLD OUT!!!!!
L.E.A.D.S. – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies
3 Day – Instructor Training
Sept. 18 – 20, 2023 0830 – 1630
Congratulations to the new graduates of the three-day L.E.A.D.S. instructor program. Law enforcement, corrections, and private security officers actively participated in the three-day interactive course. Officers from Florida, Colorado Maryland, Delaware, and Minnesota attended and successfully completed the award-winning Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Instructor program.
This is what the attending officers had to say:
Please assess the quality of this presentation.
100% of evaluations submitted rated this course at the highest level of excellent.
- Amazing and informative
- I was able to understand, learn and relate to a very entertaining instructor
- Very informative, great interaction
- Great presentation
- Lt. Dillon did a great job of applying concepts to real scenarios, the stories helped learn better.
- Lt. Dillon is very knowledgeable. He is able to keep everyone engaged during the whole presentation.
- Great class, I will likely send more of my officers to this training.
- Great quality from a very experienced instructor
- Dedicated instructor
- Great class, kept class attention, relevant materials.
- Very good! Well organized. Kept the class focused and engaged by using visual aids and relevant information. Instructor was very enthusiastic about the course.
- Would love that techniques would be specifically incorporated into the video shown. Would add a level of enhancement to the de-escalation.
- Great presentation, stories were related to experiences.
Please comment on the instruction of the program. (Training aids, multimedia, etc.)
24 out of 25 students rated this category at the highest level, excellent. One student rated it as very good.
- Great videos
- Animated and personable
- There could have been more class participation at times this felt like a lecture
- Good videos
- Training aids were utilized perfectly
- The instruction kept students involved
- All aspects of the program were beyond my expectations
- True understanding of all tools
- Visual aids used were appropriate and relevant to the course
- Videos to enhance teaching points
- Great videos, scenarios, made it enjoyable
- Knowledgeable, passionate, and personal
- Would like another day for scenarios
- Multimedia made the program easy to follow
- I like the idea of having student guide so the students you teach can follow along
Would you recommend this training to other officers?
100% of attending students rated this at the highest level (excellent) and stated they would recommend this course to their peers.
- Yes 100%
- Hope my agency implements
- Yes it is very valuable and pertinent to my job
- Looking forward to teaching this at my agency
- Addresses and focuses on law enforcement daily encounters
- This is nothing different that we are doing but understanding the brain is super important.
- I will likely send more of my officers to this training
- 100% excellent training program
- 100% ready to take another
- All officers, officers with limited experience in years on the job to the officer who has been on the job for many years could benefit greatly.
- Recommend to fellow officers and teammates
- A lot of officers need to know why we do something, and this class explains more.
Please assess the instructors of this program. Lieutenant Kevin Dillon (Ret)
100% rated the instructor in the highest category as (5) excellent.
- KD is a very knowledgeable instructor
- animated and personable
- Lieutenant KD was the best instructor I’ve ever had.
- KD is very good. Would love to attend more classes he teaches.
- Best instructor I’ve had.
- was very entertaining and informative
- KD Is the best. Couldn’t imagine it being taught by someone else.
- Extremely knowledgeable the information. Seems to generally care about the outcome of the students.
- Very knowledgeable, practices what he teaches
- Keeps the class engaged
- Instructor was highly knowledgeable, expanded upon all areas of instruction
- KD did a great job with the presentation. It is hard to present two days of lecture and he kept our attention the whole time.
- The instructor is very knowledgeable, will take future courses with him
- Amazing instructor
- Well-spoken, easy to hear. I was able to understand what was being said and shown
- Confident, excellent speaker. Knowledgeable, passionate, entertaining hold your attention.
- Great instructor, kept my attention all three days
- Very knowledgeable.
- KD is great!
Please explain how this training will enable you to change or improve your present assignment.
- This training gives me better tools to de-escalate violent inmates inside the jail.
- With effective communication and active listening skills to gain the objective at the end.
- Definitely added communication tools to the belt
- This will allow me for better de-escalation of inmates in the jail
- Gave great training tips
- Fine-tune my communication and de-escalation skills more effectively
- More tools to communicate properly
- This will help me take a step back and assess the situation better
- This program will help me improve my current program by expanding my de-escalation skills
- Bring neuroscience to de-escalation techniques we already utilize and introduce new concepts to better talk to inmates.
- I am the Sergeant of our de-escalation and force training unit. This course will help men with course development.
- It will allow me to bring more in-depth training to our agency
- This will help me explain to members “why” they react in certain ways and how they can improve and better their reactions
- Will assist in verbal communications
- Put into words what I would like to teach my trainees
- Taught me things about how I’m currently training others. I already have a few ideas after day one.
- Reduce citizen complaints equals less administrative investigations, better trained officers and less injuries. Risk management.
- Will allow me to better instruct ways to handle situations for new officers training and remedial
- Change in the way how we approach different ways to altercations we have.
- Working on myself with the techniques given.
- Help me speak to others when I start to get worked up.
This is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and has been taught throughout the United States.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor-level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom-based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management, and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. This material is currently the state-adopted De-escalation System taught in each Academy.
- learn how to turn negative communication into positive
- identify professional benefits of respect
- learn anger management techniques
- learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- community empowerment and partnership strategies
- understand physiological changes during aggression
- learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- learn methods to redirect thought processes in positive direction
- communicate and respond to special populations; (ex.-mental illness, autism, disabilities)
- learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- learn tactically relocation strategies to delay confrontations
- concepts of fair and impartial policing
- learn to build community partnerships through daily interactions
- learn to conduct breakout sessions for role-playing exercises
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations
- learn how de-escalation and or the lack of is used in litigation plus more!
REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Presently Instructed in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, NH, PA, MO, MI, TX, SD, CO, AK, NE, CA, AZ, NM, UT and VT
LOCATION of TRAINING:
Leesburg Police Department
115 E. Magnolia Street – Leesburg, FL 34748
Captain Scott Mack
Leesburg Police Department
Office: 352-728-9786 ext. 3844 /Cell: 352-516-7879
L.E.A.D.S. Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies
3 day Instructor Training
Feb 13 – 15, 2023
Please rate the overall presentation
- Super relevant and logical
- The presentation was very well done
- This class was excellent. The content should be given to all law enforcement.
- Excellent presentation great course
- All around great and not one complaint
- Extremely relevant to the profession. Thought provoking.
- Class engaged, had a combination of learning styles involved
- High quality presentation which provided a lot of reasoning
- Excellent content, LE focused as opposed to “pigeonholing” other programs to work in law enforcement application,
- Highly dynamic involved teaching style.
Was this program relevant to your work assignment?
- It was very relevant to my work assignment.
- This content was applicable to everyday patrol and crisis negotiations will be able to integrate this very easily.
- Yes, relevant to almost every aspect.
- Absolutely. Another way of looking at things.
- Yes, this is something I can use every shift I work patrol; I deal with the public a lot and traffic stops.
- This program was very relevant and provided answers and explanations to what we already deploy.
- Very good for contacts in office, home visits. Maybe some more help with probation and parole specific videos but great overall
- Yes, as a supervisor and trainer
- Yes, in a rural patrol de-escalation can be a lifesaver.
- Very relevant, can and will use this every day at work.
Please assess the instructors of this program.
Instructors Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret)
19 out of 19 students of the evaluations collected rated this category as excellent.
- Knowledgeable and engaging
- K.D. was one of the best instructors I have ever had. I feel that any class he taught I would try to attend.
- Thank you for the very well-presented class. I found the material very helpful.
- Lieutenant Kevin Dillon is a master at his craft. His knowledge and instruction style is superior fantastic, he has found a great outlet for his ADHD.
- He was incredible, his knowledge, energy, and attitude was outstanding.
- Lieutenant Dillon is dynamic in engaging and complements the two hats we wear very well. It’s a perfect balance of communication and safety.
- K.D. was extremely engaged. He is clear through the confidence of his presentation that he is a master of the content and stands by it.
- Knowledgeable, in the way it was presented made it interesting kept class engaged, enforced what was being taught through stories, didn’t keep it serious all the time.
- Excellent knowledge base, stories, illustrations relative to work Kevin Dillon brought energy to the class to keep everyone engaged throughout the presentation.
- K.D. did a great job as always kept everyone engaged all three days
- Kevin was extremely professional and even more personable.
- Never questioned the knowledge base