Oakland County Sheriff’s MI Train in L.O.C.K.U.P.®
L.O.C.K.U.P. ® Police System – Arrest and Control Instructor Course
May 8 – 12, 2023
Oakland County Sheriff’s Office to train over 1200 officers in L.O.C.K.U.P.!
It was a pleasure and honor to be able to present our professional development program – L.O.C.K.U.P. Arrest and Control Instructor Program the week of May 8 – 12, 2023 to the members of the Oakland County Sheriff’s Office. your department. We are pleased that the training was extremely well received, and as you are aware all the officers participated actively during the mentally challenging and physically intensive 5 day program. Your officers displayed high levels of enthusiasm, dedication, and professionalism throughout the entire week. A review of the course evaluations revealed an overwhelmingly high satisfaction rating from the attending students of the course. After extensive research and review the agencies selected the L.O.C.K.U.P. System to be trained to their officers.
WHAT THE STUDENTS HAD TO SAY:
Please rate the overall presentation. 22 out of 23 evaluations collected rated this course presentation at the highest level – Excellent, 1 student rated it very good.
- Exceptionally well-done presentation. Good use of video to illustrate points of instruction.
- Very good quality
- Great job keeping students engaged
- Great presentation
- Very thorough program and proven techniques that work.
- KD is very knowledgeable about the topics he teaches and his energy and passion are contagious
- Great and really appreciated it
- All material presented was organized
- Material was organized and explained in a way that made sense and put together excellent
- Very eager and easy to understand
Was this program relevant to your work assignment? 23 out of 23 evaluations collected rated this course presentation at the highest level – Excellent.
- Absolutely relevant. Applies equally to patrol and corrections yes
- Very relevant
- Absolutely! I see several applications that would work in the jail
- Spot on for my work assignment. Real life skills that can be used with proficiency
- Yes I’m part of the training unit and road patrol.
- All aspects of the program are directly related to profession
- Extremely useful and applicable.
- Yes, items presented were relevant to the job
Please comment on the instructions of this program. (Training aids, multimedia etc.) 22 out of 23 evaluations collected rated this course presentation at the highest level – Excellent, 1 student rated it very good.
- Well paced. Keep students attention without overloading them
- Multi dimensional, well put together
- KD is a great instructor
- The handbook aid is very effective and thought out with training that is needed to make our careers thrive in longevity
- Connecticut accent takes some getting used to
- I am a multi style learner. I like visual, audio, kinesthetic, this course touches on every learning style.
- Always a thrill to see and hear Lieutenant Dillon
- Good balance of PowerPoint and practical
- Great PowerPoint. Stories and lecture
- Flip charts are great. They keep attention.
- I like that the days were split with math time and lecture, rather than two days of all lecture and the rest all on the mats.
- KD does a great job navigating the class the instruction was excellent and assisted in the flow
- Notes on the wall, slides, explanations were current, relevant.
- Only more videos for reference
- Very informative
Would you recommend this training to other officers? 23 out of 23 evaluations collected rated this course presentation at the highest level – Excellent.
- Yes, everyone should be required to take this training
- I would!
- Yes, to all law enforcement agencies
- Without a doubt!
- This is a great addition to PPCT highly recommend absolutely!
- Absolutely, To anyone in this profession
- Yes, very relevant
- The tactics would be extremely useful for coworkers in correction
- Yes, every officer needs this training
Please assess the instructors of this program. Instructors – Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret) and Dave Ceci. 22 out of 23 evaluations collected rated this course presentation at the highest level – Excellent, 1 student rated it very good.
- Kevin and his assistant instructors did a great job presenting the course content and walking students through the practical applications and techniques.
- All instructors were great. Very knowledgeable
- KD, wealth of knowledge great delivery
- KD is awesome. So much knowledge, it is interesting to hear and learn about human mechanics and what happens to the body in critical (combat) encounters.
- KD, Gregory Jason and David all did very well
- KD is lightning fast and athletic
- The instructors were great. With the corrections I needed to make I never felt belittled or stupid and I was able to make the right improvements
- Great instructors
- All additional instructors were very knowledgeable. Miller, Ferrera, Hicks, Ceci
- Instructors were very knowledgeable and able to explain answer questions at all times
- All of the instructors had a great knowledge base. Greg is excellent
- Of the best
- The instructor was the best part of the course, knowledgeable and hilarious, would have easily been better Shemp as a 4th for the three stooges.
- Very knowledgeable explained, well when questions came up
- All instructors were very knowledgeable on the material and knew common errors to address. Instructors were energetic and very involved with all students
- Jason and Gregory were great secondary instructors for Kevin
- All instructors were knowledgeable and proficient in the material
- All instructors were professional experience involved and very helpful
- All instructors were knowledgeable and all instructors were able to teach a section pertaining to the movements we were working
Please explain how this training will enable you to change or improve your present assignment?
- The manner in which Kevin presents the administrative side of the course as it pertains to tracking training was a great help.
- Taught me different skills and help me improve them
- Improve officer safety and subject control
- This was my second time through LOCKUP so it was reinforcement in exactly what I needed to improve my technique
- Recert for me
- I feel more comfortable teaching and presenting after this training.
- This program will enable me to use more smart techniques, so that myself and my partners don’t harm ourselves or our partners.
- More tools to work with
- OCSO will be implementing LOCKUP in our agency. Due to being in the training unit I believe it is important to my position to have knowledge on the system.
- Gave me so many more options. Also, gave me confidence to use them
- Gives me more tools to use during active resistance and active aggression
- More manageable skills to retain and utilize.
- All around tactics from talking to the deployment of response to resistance and maneuvers
- Very relevant for higher levels of aggression
- It provided me with more control options while working in the jail.
- I’ll be able to teach LOCKUP during our implementation of this program.
- The training will provide additional tactics and subject control
- More confident in different situations. Brings together multiple scenarios in applications.
- Practicality and confidence in response to resistance. I can’t wait to take this knowledge back to teach others
- Not only using the movements on the road, breathing in the way we talk will now be thought of in making decisions to further our careers
This award winning intensive 5-day training program on L.O.C.K.U.P.® Police Arrest and Control Instructor Course. This course provides in-depth arrest and control confrontation training. It develops a solid foundation of de-escalation tactics, physical manipulation techniques with instructional methods that will certify the student as a Basic L.O.C.K.U.P. ® Arrest and Control Instructor. The empty-hand skills can be relied upon by individual officers or with as teams. The Singular purpose of the L.O.C.K.U.P. ® System is to safely, quickly and successfully control and secure an arrested person. The System was conceived, developed and is taught to achieve that result. It is street proven, court tested, defendable and retainable for the officer. If you don’t think the techniques you instruct will be analyzed and scrutinized, just watch the MN Trial!
The L.O.C.K.UP. training differentiated itself from other Defensive tactics programs being instructed throughout the country. Not a technique-based training system but the emphasis is on the actual collection of data on the use of force incidents, and detailed reporting to determine the effectiveness and needs assessments of the officers on the street.