SOLD OUT! University of MN – L.E.A.D.S. + T
University of Minnesota Department of Public Safety
L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Plus Tactical Options
Three Day Instructor Certification
Jan 23 – 25, 2019
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course will instruct students and develop instructors in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active Diffusion Strategies and Tactical Options One-Day Program. The course is classroom based to educate instructors in effective communications skills, de-escalation techniques as well as combat confrontation avoidance training. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active Diffusion Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective deescalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. We utilize lectures, demonstrations and scenario based training.
- Understand the principles of risk management for officer safety;
- Identify indicators of hostility through body language;
- Learn the value of customer service in law enforcement;
- Learn how to turn negative communication into positive;
- Identify professional benefits of respect;
- Learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies;
- Understand physiological changes during aggression;
- Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion;
- Learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction;
- Learn the importance of professional posturing;
- Identity different communication styles and appropriate response tactics;
- Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills;
- Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages;
- Learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations;
- Learn methods of instruction, lecture, scenario development, group break outs.
Approved for MN POST Credit – Meets the POST Learning Objectives for Conflict Management & Mediation Training and Reviewed & Approved by the United States Department of Justice!
Amazing instructor, keeps you focused, awake and interactive. Best I ever had in over 22 years!!
Local Contact: Shannon McGoffin,
Training & Communications Director
LOCATION: University of Minnesota,
U Rec & Wellness Center