St. Louis County and Municipal Academy – MO
L.O.C.K.U.P. ® Police System – Arrest and Control Instructor Course
June 19 – 23, 2023 0800-1630
CONGRATULATIONS to the new LOCKUP Instructors of MO, IL and TN. The training was very well received by all attendees, and they participated actively throughout the mentally challenging and physically intensive week. The attending students displayed high levels of enthusiasm, dedication and professionalism throughout the training session.
A review of the course evaluations revealed an overwhelming satisfaction rating from the class.
This is what the attending students had to say.
• Great course. I look forward to taking more courses provided by LOCKUP. Night shift Sergeant – 10 years
• It was a great class. Very useful. More officers should take this class. Federal Officer – 6 ½ Years
• At first, I did not want to attend this class, and hated the thought of being here. However, this class has taught me a lot and I am very happy to have gone through this and become an instructor. Patrol officer 5 years
• Great class that teaches practical applications that officers can use every day. Techniques are easy to teach and have great effect. Patrol officer- 5 years
• Amazing course, this should be the new and only DT training for the Academy itself. New recruits need to have this training because it is highly effective it is actually highly useful.
Patrol officer-3 years
• I enjoy the class very much. Both instructors were very knowledgeable and provided all information clearly, I believe all officers should take this course. Patrol and K9 Officer – 5 years
• 10/10 – Best course I’ve taken at the Academy, maybe anywhere. Kevin especially but Eric also were phenomenal. They were both knowledgeable, realistic, communicative, clear, engaging, entertaining, energetic etc. There is not enough good adjectives for these two and this training. Lieutenant 13 years
• I feel it was a lot of good scenario based training a lot of useful things to take back I hope to be able to attend other classes in the future like the supervisory course and the L.E.A.D.S.
Field Training Officer – 6 + years
• This is a very informative course, in both teachable, realistic, effective training. I would highly recommend this instructor course. Eric Austermann Medicare and Kevin Dillon did an incredible job training the trainer. I will recommend this to my leadership to utilize for officer safety and to train others in the future. Patrol Officer – 4 years
• At the beginning, I was unsure of my ability to teach DT. I had a bit of impostor syndrome, as someone who trains martial arts. I did not see a person of my skill as a coach or teacher. As the week progressed, I improved at all the techniques steadily. By the end of the week unsureness turned to more confidence. I did not think it would work at the beginning the way Eric and KD taught the course and repped the movements truly helped me learn things I had just seen several days prior. Patrol Officer 5 – years
• LOCKUP was fun and informative course. It’s geared toward law enforcement. All instructors were great and knowledgeable. Patrol Officer 2 – years
• I believe the value of LOCKUP training is essential for all police departments of multiple levels. LOCKUP starts from the basics of how we learn and why it is important we understand as we learn. LOCKUP then goes into building blocks of using force effectively and safely. This class changed many of my perspectives and the importance of reviewing force incidents and maintaining department use of force statistics. LOCKUP focuses on controlling the suspect in a safe manner for suspects in officers. I hope to maintain consistent training through LOCKUP throughout the entirety of my career. Every department should have at least one LOCKUP instructor. Special Enforcement Officer- 9 years
This award winning intensive 5-day training program on L.O.C.K.U.P.® Police Arrest and Control Instructor Course. This course provides in-depth arrest and control confrontation training. It develops a solid foundation of de-escalation tactics, physical manipulation techniques with instructional methods that will certify the student as a Basic L.O.C.K.U.P. ® Arrest and Control Instructor. The empty-hand skills can be relied upon by individual officers or with as teams. The Singular purpose of the L.O.C.K.U.P. ® System is to safely, quickly and successfully control and secure an arrested person. The System was conceived, developed and is taught to achieve that result. It is street proven, court tested, defendable and retainable for the officer. If you don’t think the techniques you instruct will be analyzed and scrutinized, just watch the MN Trial!
- Risk Management for Confrontations
- Legal Aspects of Use of Force
- Report Writing, Documentation and Tracking
“You can’t manage what you do not measure.”
- Verbal Communication – De-escalation Skills
- Instructional Techniques to Fit the Employee
- Gross Motor Orientated Techniques
- Instructional Methods for Teaching
- Retainable Techniques
- Individual Based Takedowns
- Teaching Methodologies for Long Term Memory
- Integration with Less Lethal Options
- Team Communications and Takedowns
- Police Ground Control Techniques
- Multiple Officer Control Coordinated Tactics
- Environmental Training
- Physiological Changes During Human Aggression
FBI National Academy Associates 2022 Science & Innovation Award Presented to L.O.C.K.U.P.
The L.O.C.K.UP. training differentiated itself from other Defensive tactics programs being instructed throughout the country. Not a technique-based training system but the emphasis is on the actual collection of data on the use of force incidents, and detailed reporting to determine the effectiveness and needs assessments of the officers on the street.
St. Louis County & Municipal Police Academy
1266 Sutter Avenue • St. Louis • MO 63133
Contact – Sgt. Chris Thomson
Office (314) 889-8606
SPECIAL – ONLY $895.00