St. Louis County & Municipal Police Academy
L.O.C.K.U.P.® Police Training – Controlling Larger Combatants
Overcoming Size Differences for Female Enforcers
Dec. 12—14, 2022
Congratulations to the graduates of the Overcoming Size Differences for Female Enforcers program held at the St. louis County Municipal Police Academy MO. We developed this course over a decade ago and the program continues to evolve, serve and train officers in tactics, techniques and strategies on how to overcoming size difference. Size MAKES a difference and we need modified and customized training to fit those needs.
This is what the attending students had to say;
- The course was great. I like the physical parts of the class. I really think I will use the training in future encounters. Detective – 7.5 years
- Very informative on tactics that will help with keeping me safe and prevent culprits from taking advantage due to my height and weight. School Resource Officer -11 Years
- Awesome course! Would highly recommend for any female. The instructors are very passionate. modifications offered throughout the course. doesn’t matter your skill level. greatly enjoyed my three days with my class members and instructors. Special Operations -9 years
- The info and skills taught will be beneficial for me in the field. The instructors are also very knowledgeable and patient ensuring all participants understand the skills taught.
Special Operations – 17 Years
- Was great. Great energy, very informative. Patrol – 5.5 years
- This course was fun. The instructors word great. Patrol – 3 years
- Really enjoyed this course and would like to attend this class in the future it provided. I really learned a lot of useful techniques. Patrol – 4 years
- Great instructors, informative content.
- This course was very beneficial to all officers to not only solidify previous training, but also correct training scars and learn new techniques. I am a self-defense instructor for RAD and many of the stances and techniques are similar which makes me feel more confident about teaching the techniques to female civilians. In this course, I learned confidence in myself but also in the techniques I may use. I can use this to be seen as a strength and not a weakness. thank you!
- The proper application and instructors being ready and capable of modifying the tactics to work with officer size and skill were excellent. Lieutenant – 10 years
- I thought this class was a very helpful and important course that I would absolutely take again. recommend to others in attend others like it. it was completely hands on and the instructors were very helpful in making sure we understood everything and allowed us to ask any and all questions. Overall a great class. Patrol – 2 years
- This course was practical for everyday female officers and inspired me to continue to sharpen my skills. Patrol – 1.5 years
- This course was very informative and hands-on. The techniques were modified for smaller statured people, which is almost always something we run into on a daily basis on the street. Instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful when questions were asked. The only negative aspect was a lot of information thrown at us in a short period of time. Patrol – 5 years
- I’ve learned a lot of these methods in the Academy, but this was a fantastic refresher and help add small tips for size differences. Patrol – 4 years
- Great class, it’s very beneficial not just for females but for all law enforcement officers. instructors were very knowledgeable and helpful with answering questions in making corrections. could be longer than three days to cover more material as well as practice. it would be beneficial to have more than two instructors and even bring in male officers. amazing course and would highly recommend even to male officers.
- It’s always beneficial to keep us up on defensive tactic skills. I learned some new skills along the way. I also appreciated the large amount of constructive criticism. Patrol officer – 11 months
This three day course is designed to address violent encounters dealing with suspects of larger stature. When attempting control larger suspects, size and strength differentials necessitate combat strategies less reliant on pure upper body strength. The concepts and techniques can be utilized by any officer addressing a larger suspect. The days are hands-on and mentally challenging. Officers train and drill wearing vest, gun belt and long pants because anything else makes no sense.
L.O.C.K.U.P. Police Training System and Principles
- Risk Assessment and Threat Indicators
- Ground Fighting Counter Measures
- Fear Management and Control
- Fighting Techniques and Fatigue
- Understanding Weapon Integration
- Decisive Takedown Manipulations
- Active Diffusion Strategies
- Team Approach and Strategies
- Understanding Mass / Power and Kinetic Energy
- Overcoming/ Understanding Size Challenges
- Using Your Size to Your Benefit
- Proper Weapon and Target Selection
- Taser to Physical Control
This course saved my life!
Dep. S. E. – St Johns FL PD
- BDU Style Pants
- Boots w ankle Support
- Red Gun / Full Gun belt
- Handcuffs and keys
St. Louis County & Municipal Police Academy
1266 Sutter Avenue • St. Louis, Missouri 63133-1934
Ms. Becky Murphy
email@example.com / 314.889.8608