Gulfport Police Department – Mississippi
L.E.A.D.S. – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies
3 Day – Instructor Training
Oct. 31 – Nov 2, 2023 0830 – 1630
This is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and has been taught throughout the United States.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor-level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom-based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management, and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. This material is currently the state-adopted De-escalation System taught in each Academy.
- learn how to turn negative communication into positive
- identify professional benefits of respect
- learn anger management techniques
- learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- community empowerment and partnership strategies
- understand physiological changes during aggression
- learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- learn methods to redirect thought processes in positive direction
- communicate and respond to special populations; (ex.-mental illness, autism, disabilities)
- learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- learn tactically relocation strategies to delay confrontations
- concepts of fair and impartial policing
- learn to build community partnerships through daily interactions
- learn to conduct breakout sessions for role-playing exercises
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations
- learn how de-escalation and or the lack of is used in litigation plus more!
REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Presently Instructed in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, NH, PA, MO, MI, TX, SD, CO, AK, NE, CA, AZ, NM, UT and VT
LOCATION of TRAINING:
Gulfport Police Dept
2220 15th Street – Gulfport, MS 39501
Officer Troy Carpenter
firstname.lastname@example.org / Office: 228-868-5796
L.E.A.D.S. Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies
3 day Instructor Training
Feb 13 – 15, 2023
Please rate the overall presentation
- Super relevant and logical
- The presentation was very well done
- This class was excellent. The content should be given to all law enforcement.
- Excellent presentation great course
- All around great and not one complaint
- Extremely relevant to the profession. Thought provoking.
- Class engaged, had a combination of learning styles involved
- High quality presentation which provided a lot of reasoning
- Excellent content, LE focused as opposed to “pigeonholing” other programs to work in law enforcement application,
- Highly dynamic involved teaching style.
Was this program relevant to your work assignment?
- It was very relevant to my work assignment.
- This content was applicable to everyday patrol and crisis negotiations will be able to integrate this very easily.
- Yes, relevant to almost every aspect.
- Absolutely. Another way of looking at things.
- Yes, this is something I can use every shift I work patrol; I deal with the public a lot and traffic stops.
- This program was very relevant and provided answers and explanations to what we already deploy.
- Very good for contacts in office, home visits. Maybe some more help with probation and parole specific videos but great overall
- Yes, as a supervisor and trainer
- Yes, in a rural patrol de-escalation can be a lifesaver.
- Very relevant, can and will use this every day at work.
Please assess the instructors of this program.
Instructors Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret)
19 out of 19 students of the evaluations collected rated this category as excellent.
- Knowledgeable and engaging
- K.D. was one of the best instructors I have ever had. I feel that any class he taught I would try to attend.
- Thank you for the very well-presented class. I found the material very helpful.
- Lieutenant Kevin Dillon is a master at his craft. His knowledge and instruction style is superior fantastic, he has found a great outlet for his ADHD.
- He was incredible, his knowledge, energy, and attitude was outstanding.
- Lieutenant Dillon is dynamic in engaging and complements the two hats we wear very well. It’s a perfect balance of communication and safety.
- K.D. was extremely engaged. He is clear through the confidence of his presentation that he is a master of the content and stands by it.
- Knowledgeable, in the way it was presented made it interesting kept class engaged, enforced what was being taught through stories, didn’t keep it serious all the time.
- Excellent knowledge base, stories, illustrations relative to work Kevin Dillon brought energy to the class to keep everyone engaged throughout the presentation.
- K.D. did a great job as always kept everyone engaged all three days
- Kevin was extremely professional and even more personable.
- Never questioned the knowledge base