Burleigh County Sheriff’s Department
L.O.C.K.U.P. ® Police System
Arrest and Control Instructor and Recertification Training
April 3 – 7, 2023 0800-1630
It was a pleasure and honor to be able to present our L.O.C.K.U.P. Arrest and Control Instructor Program April 3 – 7, 2023 to the officers of North Dakota. Officers from Bismarck, Burleigh County, Cass County, Burleigh Detention Center, Morton County, North Dakota Parole, Sanford Health and Williston PD attended the course. The training was extremely well received, and all the officers participated actively during the mentally challenging and physically intensive 5 day program. The officers displayed high levels of enthusiasm, dedication, and professionalism throughout the entire week. A review of the course evaluations revealed an overwhelmingly high satisfaction rating from the attending students of the course.
This what the students had to say:
Please rate the overall presentation.
- Very good a lot of info wish training was a little longer, more practice.
good quality, keeps focused, good videos.
- Visual, audio, hands-on, reps
- Instructors were engaging and passionate about the subject matter.
- All material is relevant to training.
- These guys really know their stuff and are excellent trainers.
- Great as always, high energy open to questions.
- Felt at no time slow moving to do some with no experience with LOCKUP
- Instructors very knowledgeable and passionate
Was this program relevant to your work assignment?
100% rated this category as yes!
Please comment on the instruction of this program. (Training aids, multimedia etc.)
- Manual is great what I wasn’t getting in class I would review in the book.
- Good demos and breakdowns of instruction
- PowerPoint with handouts and training pads and partners
- Being able to zoom with Lieutenant Kevin Dillon was definitely the highlight
- Presentation materials and practical instruction both were excellent
- had a good PowerPoint and lots of hands on training very in depth and helpful
Would you recommend this training to other officers?
100% rated this category as yes!
- Yes, more tools in the toolbox
- would be beneficial to all officers
- absolutely, I’ve been encouraging all my staff to become instructors to further their education in defensive tactics and officer survival
- Vvery much so
- yes it can save lives and give officers more tool to use yes, the new sexy thing is *** ***** . working to explain why police work isn’t straight martial arts.
Please assess the instructors of this program. Instructors – Geoff Anderson and Daniel Cruz.
- Instructors exceeded my expectation always on point, easy to follow, always kept your attention
- Very knowledgeable in their field knowledgeable, good instruction techniques great, no question unanswered energetic.
- Passionate, knowledgeable and open minded. Well done
- Made learning fun. High energy people. Knowledgeable instructors are passionate and knowledgeable about the subject and are always willing to help additional aid
- Very informative and have great attitudes these guys did awesome and taught me a lot
- Work well with each other and play off what the other says and does obviously they work well together
- Danny and Jeff were extremely knowledgeable in could give contextual examples of the application of techniques. Also given real life examples
An intensive 5-day training program on L.O.C.K.U.P.® Police Arrest and Control Instructor Course. This system provides in-depth arrest and control confrontation training. Developed over 20 year ago and instructed throughout the Unites States and Europe this system is specifically designed for law enforcement. The training develops a solid foundation of de-escalation tactics, physical manipulation techniques with instructional methods that will certify the student as a Basic L.O.C.K.U.P. ® Arrest and Control Instructor. The empty-hand skills can be relied upon by individual officers or with as teams. The Singular purpose of the L.O.C.K.U.P. ® System is to safely, quickly and successfully control and secure an arrested person. The System was conceived, developed and is taught to achieve that result. It is street proven, court tested, defendable and retainable for the officer. If you don’t think the techniques you instruct won’t be analyzed and scrutinized, just watch the MN Trial!
- Risk Management for Confrontations
- Legal Aspects of Use of Force
- Report Writing, Documentation and Tracking
“You can’t manage what you do not measure.”
- Verbal Communication – De-escalation Skills
- Instructional Techniques to Fit the Employee
- Use of Force Analysis
- Gross Motor Orientated Techniques
- Instructional Methods for Teaching
- Retainable Techniques
- Defensive Striking Designed for Law Enforcement
- Individual Based Takedowns
- Integration with Less Lethal Options
- Team Communications and Takedowns
- Police Ground Control and Countermeasures
- Environmental Training
- Physiological Changes During Human Aggression
The L.O.C.K.UP. training differentiated itself from other Defensive tactics programs being instructed throughout the country. Not a technique-based training system but the emphasis is on the actual collection of data on the use of force incidents, and detailed reporting to determine the effectiveness and needs assessments of the officers on the street.
Sanford Training Center
201 14thSt. NW
Mandan ND 58554
Contact: Sgt. Nathan McLeish
nmcLeish@burleighsd.com / 701-712-6186