Port of Portland Police Department OR
L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Plus Tactical Options
Three Day Instructor Course – $525.00 per officer
Congratulations to the graduates of the L.E.A.D.S. Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Instructor Program hosted by the Port of Portland Police Department. Officers from Oregon and Arizona attended the training.
What the students had to say:
- Good teaching skills coupled with detailed instruction materials.
- Thorough well organized instructional aids.
- Enjoyed the class, was conducted in a fun but serious way.
- (Expectations) Exceeded. Was not expecting it to be relevant to my day to day work.
- This training highlighted a training deficiency within my agency.
- The course was better than expectations. Very good presentation.
- Course will greatly add to book of strategies for dealing with people in crisis, violent offenders, etc.
- Instructors? Very entertaining and interesting. Very relevant to this job. Should be nationally required academy training, especially for new officers.
- Good scientific information on how and why communication is effective.
- Will use theses skills not only in work but outside work as well.
- This course did a very good job explaining the de-escalation course and how to instruct.
- Taking this material back to my home office and staff will help in a number of areas with training new employees.A SPECIAL THANK YOU to Chief Jason Wallis, Captain Cory Chase and Sgt. T.J. Erickson for bringing us in to share our training with their team and guest officers. It is such an enjoyable experience when working with such professionals!
DATES: Oct. 17 –19, 2018 TIMES: 0830-1630
This is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and has been receiving national recognition. The L.E.A.D.S. ™curriculum has been reviewed and approved by the United States Department of Justice.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications.
- Identify professional benefits of active diffusion strategies
- Risk management for officer safety
- Learn principles if emotional intelligence for law enforcement
- How past complaints are used in litigation
- Anger management and control
- Learn methods of effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- Understanding physiological changes during aggression
- Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- Learn anger management skills and techniques
- Learn methods to re-direct the thought process
- Identity different communications styles with appropriate response tactics
- Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages
- Learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations…plus more!
Contact: Sergeant TJ Eriksen
Port of Portland Police Department
7000 NE Airport Way | Suite 3109 | Portland, OR 97218
PDX Conference Center, St Helens Room
Timothy.Eriksen@portofportland.com (503) 460-4126