Rhode Island Municipal Police Academy SOLD OUT!
L.E.A.D.S. – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies
3 Day – Instructor Training
May 31 – June 2, 2023 0830 – 1630
L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T is is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and is being used throughout the United States.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications.
- learn how to turn negative communication into positive
- identify professional benefits of respect
- learn anger management techniques
- learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- community empowerment and partnership strategies
- understand physiological changes during aggression
- learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction
- communicate and respond to special populations
; (ex.-mental illness, autism, disabilities)
- learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- learn tactically relocation strategies to delay confrontations
- concepts of fair and impartial policing
- learn to build community partnerships through daily interactions
- learn to conduct breakout sessions for roll playing exercises
- learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations
- learn how de-escalation and or the lack of is used in litigation plus more!
LOCATION of TRAINING:
Rhode Island Municipal Police Training Academy
1762 Louisquisset Pike – Lincoln, RI 02865
Contact – Stephen A. Lombardi
Director of Continuing Education
- The wealth of knowledge is absolutely amazing
- High energy and interactive
- Good use of information and visual aids
- Very engaging and knowledgeable
- Great – well informative
- The best law enforcement class I have ever attended
- Very organized and engaging
- Incredible. dynamic and intense
- Outstanding, learned a lot of information to take back to the field
- Videos are good, especially for visual learners to connect and relate to the material
- Class was way more than expected
- Great energy and a great contrast and teaching styles.
- Slides are relevant, need more time to cover them all
- very effective keeping attention and getting points across.
- very detailed information with practical ways to implement them
- So entertaining, engaging, and well planned.
Was this program relevant to your work assignment?
- Very relevant. Useful info supervisors patrol troopers need to know
- This will be a great addition to our agency
- Every officer no matter where they are assigned can improve with this class
- Would love more troopers to take the class
- Yes, relevant to any environment
- I work with inmates as well as the public this is hugely relevant
- Yes I usually don’t have very many use of force issues
- Yes I’m an investigator so the whole class resonated on every level
- Yes I can see how it relates to everyday traffic stops
- Everything was relevant to work assignments. Although, as I am an instructor you can’t seem disappointed when you learn that DV isn’t our everyday thing
- Absolutely. We’ll be able to improve in day-to-day activities
- Will improve my interactions with the public
- We constantly find ourselves forced upset people, employees, spouses, and civilians, and we need to know how to deescalate and help others
Please assess the instructors of this program.
Instructors Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret) Chief Terri Wilfong
- Wonderful! Entertaining! Awesome!
- Kevin and Terri were great and willing to answer questions
- Both instructors provided great real life relatable examples
- Perfect team
- K.D. and Terri were great.
- Top-notch. K.D. is extremely knowledgeable and entertaining with valid points. Terry brings administrative knowledge to the program
- Very knowledgeable and engaging
- Intense, dynamic, and passionate
- They were engaged, and never lost the class
- K.D. is great
- The thumb drives with the book was great
- Great contrast of field and administrative experience. Well done K.D. was engaging and did well to keep the attention. Terry started off rough, but it is fun for of reason and once it was realized it is evident why she did well.
- Great instructors!
- Both instructors were very good at keeping the attention and teaching the material. Very animated all stories told of real-life experience matched content.