Lincoln RI Police Dept.
Lt. Kevin Dillon (ret)
L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement
Active De-escalation Strategies Plus Tactical Options Instructor Course
Nov. 8 – 10, 2017
Congratulations to the officers of Rhode Island and Maine that attended and successfully completed the L.E.A.D.S. – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Instructor Course hosted by Lincoln RI on Nov. 8 – 10, 2017. The attending officers actively participated throughout the three days of training.
Below is what the attending students had to say:
Please assess the quality of this presentation?
17 out 18 attending students rated this course at the highest level of (5) Excellent, 1 out of 18 attending students rated the course at a rating of 4.5 Good – Excellent.
- This training will allow me to expand the way I handle potentially hostile situation can also reduce the amount of force complaints against the officers I train.
- The use of real incidents in how they were handled completely tie together the concepts in how they are deployed.
- I would recommend this presentation to every police officer.
- I am a visual guy so Lieutenant Dillon who is very theatrical knows how to keep his audience captivated.
- I work in the school settings where the students come from different backgrounds. I will learn how to communicate better and use mirroring and teaming tactics with them.
- I am hoping to bring the L.E.A.D.S. to the recruit level I’m involved in.
- Tactics and strategies are applicable to everyday patrol. Every officer should have this training.
- Fantastic! Instructors are very charismatic an informative.
- I will use this material to improve our use of force training. The course material will help explain the concepts.
- All police should attend the L.E.A.D.S. Training.
- Experience brought by both instructors help you make that content easier to learn. Lieutenant Dillon should instruct and an instructor development course, most police trainers failed to keep students interested in wanting to learn.
- This reinforces my current level of how I treat the job but even more so all the desire to teach this too old and new officers.
- Every single officer working should take this training.
- The L.E.A.D.S. training will be incorporated into our defensive tactics program.
- These concepts will be built into our cadet program and in-service our cadets will be much more prepared with this information.
- I think this is the future of law enforcement training and would highly recommend.
- I liked the fact they have years of experience and have great examples.
- Great use of poster board sheets…. Also group experiences were beneficial.
- I will be able to relate to more individuals and have many more tools and my tool box to you was during every day calls for service.
- Excellent instructor, material is excellent as was the delivery.
- For a supervisor this is just what you need to pass on to your patrol officers who are on the streets dealing with people.
- The best instructors, you guys nailed it, keep it up.
- Lieutenant Kevin Dillon is an asset to the entire criminal justice profession. The info he provides is very real and practical.
- It will certainly allow me as a supervisor to make my guys and girls even better than what they are now.
- My current assignment, second in charge of a 65 member police department, info very informative at every level. Plan to bring back and educate all personnel, should be given two all recruits.
Please be advised that this training is being held at the LINCOLN YOUTH CENTER, located at 35 School Street, Albion (Lincoln) Rhode Island. (Located directly across from the Albion Fire Department).
The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program was developed in 2007 by international law enforcement trainer Lt. Kevin F. Dillon and has received national recognition. It has been presented to officers in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, MO, MI, SD, CO, AK, CA, AZ, VT, MD, WY and NM. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ curriculum has been reviewed and approved by the Rhode Island Trust, CT Attorney General Office and United States Department of Justice.
The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Instructor training program is an easy to use communication program that addresses street confrontations. It will enhance communications skills, help de-escalate engagements, reduce complaints and liability, and enhance officer survival. In this 3 Day Instructor Course, participants will develop the knowledge and skills they need to train officers working in police departments and security services, as they will learn how to facilitate training sessions for the 2, 4, 8 or 12 hours of modules of L.E.A.D.S.™ programs. Participants who successfully complete this “Train the Trainer” course are qualified to train officers in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ curriculum.
- Identify professional benefits of active diffusion strategies
- Risk management for officer safety
- How civilian complaints are used against officers in lidigation
- Learn principles of emotional intelligence for law enforcement encounters
- Learn methods of effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- Understanding physiological changes during aggression
- Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- Learn methods to re-direct the thought process
- Identity different communications styles with appropriate response tactics
- Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages
- Learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations…plus more!
REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
Local Contact: Captain Philip Gould
Lincoln PD – Rhode Island
Email – email@example.com / Phone 401.333.1111
Training Conducted at 100 River Rd., Lincoln RI