Become a Qualified CT Arrest and Control L.O.C.K.U.P.® Instructor!!! CT Department of Corrections Hosting CT Arrest…
Rhode Island State Police
L.E.A.D.S. Law Enforcement
Active De-escalation Strategies
May 30, 31 and June 1, 2018 – 0800-1630
Congratulations to the graduates of the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T Instructor program sponsored by the Rhode Island State Police. Officers from Rhode Island and Massachusetts attended and successfully completed the three day program. Officers actively participated in the presentation, scenario exercises and anecdotal reporting.
100% of attending students rated the presentation in the highest category of 5 “Excellent”
- This is what the attending students had to say:
- It has given me useful tactics to defuse situations.
- The program was well written, fact based and the Instructor knew the material and supporting information.
- What impressed me the most was the amount of supportive info that K.D. (Lt. Dillon) brought.
- I have needed a good program to train / retrain my officers to understand why de-escalation is important. This program is perfect.
As an instructor at the Academy this information is vital for the success and survival of the new officers.
- This training will improve the policing world we live in, the more officers that have it the better.
- This training should be given to all law enforcement officer in the academy.
- I would recommend this training to every police officer.
Please asses the instructor of this program. (Lt. Kevin Dillon)
- Awesome. Super high energy and engaging. His personality was one the best examples of passion and knowledge I have ever seen.
Engaging and interesting.
- K.D. is a wealth of knowledge and an incredible instructor.
- K.D. has always been a captivating and dynamic instructor. He is not only extremely knowledgeable he is personable and entertaining.
- Expert in the field, refreshing to learn from an LEO partner.
This is a nationally recognized conflict resolution de-escalation certification course. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Training was developed in 2007 and has been receiving national recognition. The L.E.A.D.S. ™curriculum has been reviewed and approved by the United States Department of Justice.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course is an instructor level program designed to qualify students in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies and Tactical Options Program. The course is classroom based to educate and train instructors in positive communications skills, effective de-escalation techniques, anger management and combat confrontation avoidance techniques. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active De-escalation Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications.
- Identify professional benefits of active diffusion strategies
- Risk management for officer safety
- Learn principles if emotional intelligence for law enforcement
- How past complaints are used in litigation
- Anger management and control
- Learn methods of effective verbal de-escalation strategies
- Understanding physiological changes during aggression
- Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion
- Learn anger management skills and techniques
- Learn methods to re-direct the thought process
- Identity different communications styles with appropriate response tactics
- Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills
- Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages
- Learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations…plus more!
REVIEWED AND APPROVED BY THE UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE.
Presently Instructed in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, MO, MI, SD, CO, AK, CA, AZ, WY and NM.
Contact Det. Stephen Vinton
Rhode Island State Police Headquarters
Colonel Walter Stone Conference Center
311 Danielson Pike · Scituate, RI 02857
Email – Stephen.Vinton@risp.gov / 401-444-1716 (Office)