Simsbury CT Police Department SOLD OUT!
L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Plus Tactical Options
Three Day Instructor Course.
Congratulations to the officers who attended and successfully completed the three-day L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Instructor training hosted by the Simsbury CT Police Department. The officers actively participated in the presentation, break out sessions, scenario exercises, and teach backs.
This is what the attending students had to say;
- This was the best class I have taken from content, to instructors, it was great! Thank you.
Great presentation that allows for a good platform for teaching.
- The presentation will allow me to pass on relevant information to other officers to help empower them. The stories were key.
- Great use of flip charts this was a great course and will be an asset to Massachusetts. The best instructors I have had, very knowledgeable and engaging.
- The Instructors were top-notch individuals that are committed to the training.
- I am at the Academy as a session counselor, I’ll be able to bring this directly back to the recruits and members of the Department.
- I always enjoy training put on by Lieutenant Kevin Dillon and crew. Very dynamic.
- I believe that presenting the material to my fellow officers will make it safer for the entire Department.
- This training should be mandatory, especially to young officers so they don’t get to the point of being untrainable.
- I will be able to better interact with the public by using what was given during this course.
- I am more motivated to have better conversations where I do more listening and less talking.
- I think the program was relevant to my assignment as an SRO. I deal with kids school staff and parents.\
- High-quality presentations, keep participants engaged.
- Great mix of stories, video, flipcharts. Utilizing all these techniques kept my attention throughout the entire 3 days.
- Fantastic! The enthusiasm throughout this course was great it was a serious course with a lot of humor. Kept the crowd engaged.
- This training will offer opportunities to teach cops and citizens about respecting all lives and human behavior. It was a nice mixture to have PowerPoint videos and real-life stories.
- Instructors are well spoken, kept me entertained and intrigued to learn more. Coming from a guy who trains cops to go hands on, I have not been blessed to take LOCKUP . Very impressed on how class teaches and motivates to try to speak with people first and fight as a last resort
November 5 – 7, 2019
The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active Diffusion Strategies and Tactical Options One-Day Program was developed by Lt. Kevin F. Dillon developed in 2007, receiving national recognition. It has been presented to officers in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, MO, MI, SD, CO, AK, CA, AZ, WY and NM. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ curriculum has been reviewed and approved by the United States Department of Justice.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course will instruct students and develop instructors in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T curriculum. The course is classroom based to educate instructors in effective communications skills, de-escalation techniques as well as combat confrontation avoidance training. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active Diffusion Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. We utilize lectures and demonstrations.
• Understand the principles of risk management for officer safety;
• Identify indicators of hostility through body language;
• Learn and understand the value of customer service in law enforcement;
• Learn how to turn negative communication into positive;
• Identify professional benefits of respect;
• Learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies;
• Understand physiological changes during aggression;
• Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion;
• Learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction;
• Learn the importance of professional posturing;
• Identity different communication styles and appropriate response tactics;
• Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills;
• Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages;
• Learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations;
• Discuss application of the 30 Guiding principles PERF Recommendations;
• Communicate & respond to special populations; (mental illness, autism, disabilities),
• And More!
Sgt. Matthew Christian, 860-658-3115, email@example.com
SIMSBURY POLICE DEPARTMENT
933 HOPMEADOW STREET, SIMSBURY, CT 06070