Bristol CT Police Department SOLD OUT!
Three Day Instructor Course
November 16 – 18, 2020
Congratulations to the officers who attended and successfully completed the three-day L.E.A.D.S. + T – Law Enforcement Active De-escalation Strategies Instructor training hosted by the Bristol CT Police Department. The students actively participated in the presentation, break out sessions, scenario exercises, and teach backs. The students are now certified instructors in the nationally recognized L.E.A.D.S. Program. and are qualified to instruct the materials to their perspective department and academies.
SPECIAL THANKS to our friends from the Bristol, CT Police Department for outstanding service and going above and beyond to create a professional learning environment.
This is what the attending students had to say:
I just wanted to let you know that out of all the L.O.C.K.U.P. related classes I have attended so far, I felt that the LEADS class was the absolute BEST!
Now, I must preface this by saying that all of your courses are top notch. You literally have no rivals when it comes to presentation style, quality materials and valuable content. I just wish this class was available 15 years ago when I became a L.O.C.K.U.P. instructor. You always speak about the importance of using decisive force early on in a situation to prevent officers from potentially having to escalate their force because the situation has spun out of control. But know I’m like, we need to use decisive communication early on to possibly prevent us from having to use decisive force in the first place. In any case, the L.E.A.D.S. material is GOLD and I can’t wait to run our department through this material to give them a few more options to control a situation before having to “control” a situation.
Thanks again LT!
E.Ouellette – Bristol CT PD
- Very informative in explaining how to get back to the rational thoughts.
- Kept training interesting by using video and real life examples. You can tell they have a passion for what they’re teaching.
- Learning brain function in stressful situations can help officers rationalize and make good decisions through calm demeanors.
- High quality LOCKUP training.
- Very applicable for real world police work. Instructors all on point with good content.
- Opened my eyes! I am excited to teach the subject.
- It would be beneficial to all officers and administrators.
- Lieutenant K.D. Lt. Dillon, Bernie Hallums and Brian Shea all show enthusiasm and passion for the subject matter. Their delivery of the information is received well as the result.
- Overall very good! A combination of slides, videos, written anecdotal stories, tie it all together.
- Every K.D. (Lt. Dillon) class is of the highest quality.
- As as a trainer I will be responsible for getting this information to the masses.
- K.D. (Lt. Dillon) makes very good use of videos, flipcharts, in anecdotal stories to drive the point home .
The L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T – Law Enforcement Active Diffusion Strategies and Tactical Options One-Day Program was developed by Lt. Kevin F. Dillon developed in 2007, receiving national recognition. It has been presented to officers in the states of FL, CT, RI, MA, ND, MN, MO, MI, SD, CO, AK, CA, AZ, WY and NM. The L.E.A.D.S. ™ curriculum has been reviewed and approved by the United States Department of Justice.
Through lectures, demonstrations, role play, and practical scenario applications, this course will instruct students and develop instructors in the L.E.A.D.S. ™ Plus T curriculum. The course is classroom based to educate instructors in effective communications skills, de-escalation techniques as well as combat confrontation avoidance training. The course teaches how to recognize aggressive behaviors and keep them from escalating. Students learn Active Diffusion Strategies that can avoid or resolve negative interactions by employing effective de-escalation methods. This course also discusses tactical responses to use when diffusion tactics are inappropriate or ineffective and teaches distraction techniques that promote the success of tactical applications. We utilize lectures and demonstrations.
• Understand the principles of risk management for officer safety;
• Identify indicators of hostility through body language;
• Learn and understand the value of customer service in law enforcement;
• Learn how to turn negative communication into positive;
• Identify professional benefits of respect;
• Learn effective verbal de-escalation strategies;
• Understand physiological changes during aggression;
• Learn to use cognitive limitations for active diffusion;
• Learn methods to redirect thought process through positive direction;
• Learn the importance of professional posturing;
• Identity different communication styles and appropriate response tactics;
• Learn methods of motivational interviewing skills;
• Learn methods of distraction to obtain tactical advantages;
• Learn communication and physical strategies to de-escalate situations;
• Discuss application of the 30 Guiding principles PERF Recommendations;
• Communicate & respond to special populations; (mental illness, autism, disabilities),
• And More!
POSTC Credits Approved!
Lt. Jason Warner
Bristol Police Dept. Training Division
131 North Main Street – Bristol, CT 06010
Office: 860-584-3070 / JasonWarner@bristolct.gov